Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Let it go


“If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace.” 
~Ajahn Chah
As do most college students my age, I am currently feeling tugged in all different directions with no one to tell me exactly what to do. And, granted, it's as it should be since I am an adult now. But lately, all the stress and problems have been piling up, and I've been bottling it up and feeling overworked and worried over it all. For some reason, when my anxiety is at its peak, I tend to google search my problems hoping internet people will have all the answers. Usually it's just a bunch of other people freaking out about the same thing too, but, luckily, I stumbled upon this very interesting article that got me thinking. 40 ways to let go and feel less pain 
I realized that for the most part all my "big" problems that seem to raise my anxiety and make me feel suffocated with issues are all things I simply have no control over or that I actually do have control over them but I just never came to terms with the fact because I was stressing out about it in the first place. So, in short, I've learned to just box all of those issues up and just throw them away in the "Doesn't Matter" box. For some reason it always takes just a comforting blurb from a friend or a random inspirational self-help article to really kickstart your mind into realizing that the answer lay within you the whole time, and that everything is never as bad as you make it out to be. Positive thinking will always lead the way into a brighter future. 
So next time an issue comes up and starts to bring you down, ask yourself these questions:
  • Does it really have any drastic negative affect on your life today?
  • Has it helped me become who I am today for better or for worse?
  • Are you just worrying about a possible negative outcome for things that haven't even occurred yet?
  • Is there something you can do to move past it? If you don't have any control over it, there is nothing to worry about. It is what it is. Let go of the issue and go out there and live your life!
Oh! And if you need to cry it out. By all means, go ahead. Studies show that crying it out actually can help release negative chemicals from your body. 
Stay positive! No matter how much darkness may cloud your mind, just remember, the sun will always shine again. :)

2 comments: